Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

That's Not the Whole Story.


It's a fan favorite. 

Want to start a business? "I can do all things..."
Want to run a marathon? "I can do all things..."
Want to win American Idol? 
"I can do all things..."

You name almost any lofty goal and Christians come out of the woodwork with this as their "life verse." 

It is admirable. 

Don't get me wrong. But, there is so much more to this than the name it and claim it mentality that often accompanies the usage of these words. 

I am to the point that I hear a little, "Wah, wahhhh..." ringing in my ears when I come across this verse in my social media feeds. 

It makes my head spin and my heart hurt to see these words thrown around the way they are because I know that I know there is so much more to be gained if we were to truly understand what this verse is offering to us as believers. 

Sadly this common usage gives a wrong perspective of what Paul was trying to teach the believers he was addressing and how Jesus really works on our behalf.

But honestly, I was guilty of doing this very same thing not that long ago. 

So, BIG siiiiigggghhhhhh...

 On the other side of my own Philippians 4 experience, I often wonder how many of those who tout 4:13 as their life verse have actually read verses 11 and 12:

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."

This is what Paul was really talking about. He certainly can do all things through Him (Christ) who gives him strength. 

Why? 

Because he lived it all

Not just victory. 
Not just getting the golden ticket or buzzer or achieving super duper triple gold level. 
And not just killing it in the business world. 

He truly learned how to be content in every situation he faced: in plenty and in want, in the best of times and the worst of times, through false accusations, imprisonment, loss and experiencing the miraculous.

Philippians 4:13 is a declaration of contentment rooted firmly in experiencing the heights and depths of life and knowing that Jesus sustained him through every single moment.

When examined in context, this verse takes on a whole new connotation that I am not so sure would be as wildly popular as it is when it is singled out. 

No one wants to go through part A to get to part B. 

No one really wants to live through the depths and lean on the strength of Jesus in order to get to the other side and say, "Oh, I really can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" 

Doing so would mean walking through the hard things and learning how to live in and with peace despite what you are facing. 

I know, it really is just so much more fun to set a huge goal and proclaim that, "I can do anything I want because Jesus gives me strength," cross our fingers and hope it all works out (even when our motives are sometimes less than pure).

The truth of the matter is that we have taken something so very rich in depth and meaning and pulled out the parts we really like to fit our own desires and in the process, have completely perverted it. 

We have cheapened the words Paul so eloquently shared with the church of Philippi as a reminder of who Jesus really is to us in times of need to a catchy slogan we use to try to get anything we want.

And the only way we can change it is to go back to the text, look at the whole picture, and remember that the strength of Jesus is so much greater than our own self-centered desires. 

The strength of Jesus can carry us through every situation life can possibly throw our way and THAT is the truth of "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." 

"Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I CAN do all things through Him who strengthens me."
(Philippians 4:11-13)



No comments:

Post a Comment